Friday, April 16, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Smells

What does a girl do at 11:00 on a Friday night when she's brain dead from revisions? She blogs of course! The fact is it's spring and with spring comes some of my favorite smells which makes me think of my other favorite smells and the result is, voila, a incredibly inspiring post. Possibly one of my very best. This is not a David Letterman top 10--I'm not nearly that funny--and it's in no particular order.

1--Smoke. The only kind I don't like is smoke generated by burning food, garbage, or flesh--not good. But burning leaves, sticks, paper, charcoal, fields, and even cigarettes is good stuff. That said, I don't like the smell of smoke in anything but air--not in someones hair or on their breath or in their clothes, but I love the smell of someone smoking a cigarette behind me at a baseball game and especially love the smell of burning weeds or fruit wood trimmings. Mmmmmmm. Love it.

2--Lilacs. We planted several along the side of the house and the month of May just smells so delicious. I think that's why May is usually my best month for running because all of Willard is just wafting in Lilacs and I can't wait to get out there and soak it up.

3--Lee. Since I first met him Lee just smells good all the time. He's very mindful of it and always wears cologne, never forgets his deodorant and showers after every time he gets sweaty. I can probably count on two hands the times I've smelled body odor on him and it makes him so very snuggable. I hear people complain about stinky husbands--I feel very sorry for them. Lee is a good smelling man...unless he farts. That's not so good but it doesn't last long cause I run.

4--Other people's babies. I leave my babies out of this because I hate, hate, hate bathing babies. I don't know why other than it's just such a pain in the butt and so much work. So I would bathe them as little as possible. Only when I hold other people's babies do I realize how good smelling those little blessings can be. I would usually then go wash my kids up, enjoy it for a day or two and then avoid bath time again. I guess that's what comes from being a young, lazy mother. Thank goodness other people do better than me.

5--Bleach. I love the smell of chlorine bleach. It means clean to me. I only wish I dared clean with it but I haven't figured out how to do that and preserve my clothing. I love doing laundry with bleach because the whole house gets lit up with the scent.

6--Baking bread. I don't really need to explain this one, do I? I didn't think so.

7--Rain. This one doesn't really need an explanation either. I love the smell of wet ground and leaves and just the heaviness of the air after a rain storm. It is so relaxing to me.

8--Books. Do you ever just thumb the pages and inhale? I love the smell of the paper and ink, there's such depth in it, such...history I guess. I have loved my kindle, but I still read paper books for the feel of it in my hand and the smell of it in the air as I get lost in a story.

9--Mountains. This might go along with the smoke and the rain, but there is just a smell to trees and dirt and bushes that takes the weight off my shoulders. I love to just lay there and soak it in.

10--Cedar. I know that Cedar repels bugs or something and that's why they line cedar chests with it, but the smell of the cedar is just awesome. I love that every time I open my cedar chest the smell fills the room and I love that the things I put in there come out all scented and wonderful. I wish I had a room made of cedar, I'd just go sit in there all day long.

There's my top ten, what are yours?

12 comments:

Cluttered Brain said...

okay here it goes.
1. Fresh ink is good like HOT off the press paper--just came out off the printer..Yup. I like that smell.

2.I'm with you on the smoky smells--the smell of BBQ in the air LOVE it. Who doesn't like hot dogs and hamburgers cooking on the grill?

3.Fresh pencils and erasers. Don't ask me why I always have like the smell of a new pencil freshly sharpened.

4. I'm with you on the smell of bread. Mmm.

5. HAHA! I like your smells one. Your hubby smells good EXCEPT when he farts and then you run! LOL.

6. choc chip cookies baking. YUM!

7. brownies in the oven baking....

8. The smell of funnel cake at a carnival or state fair. Honestly who can resist?

9. ME after i get out of the shower..LOVE my bodywash and deodorant...LOL. (Hope that doesn't sound stuck up of anything...haha!

10. Hmm. Obession perfume. Oh and Bath and bodyworks lotion.

LisAway said...

I don't think I've ever known anyone who didn't smoke who like the smell of cigarette smoke! Wow! I guess I'll just compare it to me not drinking coffee but loving the smell (a much more common one). I ALWAYS smell a new book before, during and after reading. That's half the experience. And I love the FEEL of the air before and after rain. Gloomy days are my favorite. I get almost as excited as at Christmas time.

So I didn't really answer you question, but I enjoyed reading your ten!

Carolyn V. said...

I love lilacs too! I grew up with them all around the house. They are wonderful. =)

RobisonWells said...

I know this is odd, but:

I really like the stink that comes off the Great Salt Lake. And, even worse, I like when you're driving and catch a quick whiff a skunk. (I don't like a prolonged, up-close whiff of skunk.)

I think it's nostalgic--the skunk reminds me of camping and summers at Bear Lake, and the lake stink...I just like it.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with almost all of your smells. The only one I didn't was the smoke but everything else was dead on. Lilacs mixed WITH rain? Oh, nirvana.

Kristina P. said...

I love the smell of The Hoff, of course.

Heather B said...

Okay. You made me a little sad Josi. I still don't have a sense of smell. I especially miss smelling lilacs and rain (and Josh). On the plus side I can't smell poopy diapers or the stinky ducks living in my garage. :) As for bathing babies, I am totally with you. I hate bath time! My kids shower as soon as they can walk.

Amy said...

I have to agree with you on the baking bread, rain, and especially BOOKS!
Along with the smell of books, I love the smell of bookstores, which smell like books and coffee. I don't drink the stuff but I love the smell of it, especially mingled with the smell of books. :)
I also love the smell of my hubby too. His scent calms me. It's a mixture of his after shave, deoderant, and just himself. Yummy
My other favorite scent is a movie theater: the smell of anticipation and popcorn. Luv it.

Anonymous said...

1. Rain - I'm from Oregon, after all.
2. The ocean
3. Stargazer lilies
4. Acua D' Gio cologne - and hubby when he wears it!
5. Pine trees
6. Lumber yards
7. Campfire
8. Paper money brand new from the mint - the ink smells delicious!
9. Leather
10. Russian olive trees in bloom - too bad I'm allergic to the darn things.

Jessica G. said...

I love the smell of old books! I belong to a book swap a recently a member wanted a book from me but only if it wasn't old and musty. I told her she was missing out!

Julie Wright said...

My sense of smell is waning. I've spent years with various degrees of sinus issues and colds and my sense of smell is just sad. But I can catch really super strong scents. I love bread and rain and the smell of scott's gum (it reminds me of making out) i love lilacs and alyssum. And honey. I love the smell of honey. mmmmm.

Hadley Family said...

You just crack me up! I love the smell of smoke (except cigarette smoke and the burning food/flesh kind). I LOVE it when it stays on you after a campfire. I love to smell my hubby after we have been sitting by the campfire. I love the smell of coffee. I love the smell of chemicals like paint, aerosol cans, rubbing alcohol and mastisol (is an adhesive we use at work). I love the smell of rain and pine trees. Anything baking smells great as well as bacon cooking. But probably my favorite smell is the smell of old books, we have a used book store that specializes in rare LDS books and I have to go in there every so often just to get a hit :)