Monday, October 15, 2007

What I did this Weekend . . .

Do you remember the HUD commercial from a few years ago where the woman with the Spanish accent says "I luff my keetchen." Well, I'm right there with her. I have a fabulous kitchen--including these beautiful Corian countertops:


No, that brown ring is not a chocolate cake stain (though I nearly ate one in mourning). See, I had put a pan on the stove to heat up for scrambled eggs--Friday night dinner at the Kilpack's, something to be anticipated. I'm not picky, but very particular, and I don't like putting eggs in a warm pan, I want them in a hot pan so they cook fast and in nice big clumps. Well, I forgot about the pan for about . . . oh, ten minutes--it was smoking. So I moved it to the counter to cool down. For eight years I have put hot pans on the counter and had no ill effects because Corian is not supposed to scorch. WRONG! It totally burned, and totally stunk. Did you ever light a Barbie doll on fire? Yeah, it smelled like that. And no, it's not on warranty anymore because it was the original owners of the house that put in the counter tops and the warranty was for the length of their ownership. No worries though, new counter tops will only cost $10,000.00! I'll just take it out of next month's spa budget and call it a draw (if you missed the sarcasm . . . I have no idea what to say to you)


But the weekend was not a total loss:

Like many women--maybe men too, I don't know--I play favorites when it comes to things like brands of mayo, neighbors, and clothing.


These are my two favorite pairs of pants. The blue hospital scrubs I have owned for 15 years. I put the elastic waistband in them myself about nine years ago. They are reversable and anyone that has worn good, shapeless, cotton scrubs knows that they are pure comfort. I have likely worn these pants over 2000 times. I love them so much.

The Jeans cost me $60 five years ago after I lost my baby weight from child #4--I've since gained back ten pounds and they have been kind. They are from Buckle and are perfection in denim. They are stretched in all the right places, washed so many times they are soft as a shammy and I just love em, love em, love em.

However, within days I tore both of them on the fence of my chicken coop while making repairs. I was more upset about these pants than I was about the counter top--you can buy new countertops, or at least stratigically place a vase or something--but perfect jeans and comfy scrubs? Priceless. BUT, all was not lost.

With my masterful skill with a needle (It is called a needle, right?) I managed to mend them both. I know, I know, not everyone is as talented as me, and it really does look quite professional, but I did do this myself, I swear.












So, I lost a counter top but I regained two wonderful friends that have not let me down! Long live small pleasures!

12 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Beeeeautiful tailor job, woman.

Avery Gray said...

Oh, Josi! Say it ain't so! Not the beautiful Corian! At least it's chump change, right? Not like, oh, say a new house or something. No, that would be a good 6 months of the spa budget!

Janette Rallison said...

I feel your pain. A couple of years ago my son and his friend took apart a firecracker which left a huge pink stain on my wooden table. In an effort to clean up the mess from off the table they touched, I swear, every cabnet in the kitchen, which coincidentally all now have bright pink spots on them.

We resanded the table but the cabnets . . . yeah, they'll be spotted for a long time.

Kate said...

Eeks about the countertop, but hooray that you were able to mend your fave pants! :)

Luisa Perkins said...

Can't you buff out that burn with Softscrub, or something? You should do an internet search; there may be a way to make that better.

Don said...

The thing about solid surface is that you should be able to sand away the burned spot an polish it up good as new.

Give it a try - the worst that can happen is it will still cost $10,000 to replace if the repair goes bad.

Unless the orbital sander gets away and grinds a path across the hardwood floor....

Josi said...

LOL--I read don's comment and thought "Eeek, what if I ruin it?" Ha, ha. I did try my 'helpful household hints' on scorching and it didn't make any difference, but I didn't think to break out power tools. Perhaps that's what I'll do next weekend.

thanks for all the compliments on my sewing skills, sometimes I just impress myself to pieces with my my domestic prowess (burnt counter tops notwithstanding)

Janette, I am so so sorry about your cabinets. At least you can blame your kids :-) That always helps.

Julie Wright said...

nice repair job, Jos! I am beyond impressed! You are the domestic goddess i've always believed you to be.

piper said...

Blog Action Day!

how did you miss the hype? I'm here to help! swing by my blog, or Avery's, and click on the button, you'll see. I'm sure it's not too late to participate...but only sorta sure...actually, I don't know at all. I'm a follower not a leader. ;) haha!

xoxo!!

Unknown said...

I have Corian, too, and the guy who installed left a small pad of wiry looking stuff that works like magic rubbing out marks and stains. Call or email Corian and tell them the problem. Bet they'll send you some. Or go to a kitchen shop and see if they have it. Also, I use those amazing white oblong pads called Magic Eraser for tons of accidents all over the house. There must be a way.

RobisonWells said...

What's the difference between being "picky" and "particular"?

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Great mending job! My skill with a needle is minimal, but I can do basics too.