Monday, December 21, 2009

The A of Q & A

Most of you that commented on my 'ask a question' post did not, in fact, ask a question which can only mean that I talk so much, specifically about myself, that I've answered anything you might have questioned otherwise.  That is something I must ponder on, no longer being a woman of mystery. Sigh.

But, a few of you did ask a question--so some mystery must remain? right?

The first question was posed by Don:  If you were a tree, what kind would you be, and why?

Its rather remarkable he asked this question since I've been waiting years to be asked something such as this. And yet, I find it nearly impossible to answer for a variety of reasons. Here is my thought process:

One of my favorite trees, aesthetically, is a Russian olive tree. I love the shape, the color of the leaves, the sound of wind through it's leaves. But it is excessively messy, shedding leaves constantly as well as the little 'olives' it produces. Would I want to be such a burden? Not really. Next, I love Juniper trees, but they aren't really a tree, rather they are a shrubbery, so that doesn't count. Next on the list would be a birch, the ones with the white bark, but that's only because I find them beautiful. If I only wanted to be a birch for beauty, does that make me vain? Putting appearance above all other measures of self? Which then brings me to the list of trees I would NOT want to be: Blue spruce=pretty and strong, but prickly, Locust=large and good for climbing but the female tree creates those horrid pods that are such a nusense, and the male tree produces thorns that fall from the tree as leaves to and therefore makes jumping into a pile of leaves a painful prospect. Chinese Elms are also pretty, with dainty little leaves, but they attract box elder bugs almost as well as Box Elder trees do. Willows, in nearly any variety, are a favorite, but their root systems are shallow and therefore they are not very strong.

And then all this rumination brings me to one simple truth--a tree does not get to choose what kind of tree it will be. It's 'breed' so to speak is determined by it's seed, and then it simply has to make due with it's strengths and weaknesses just as we as humans must do the same. So, in reply to Don's question I suppose I would be whatever kind of tree the Lord chose for me, and then, because I'm contrary, I'd probably whine about it forever. Except trees don't speak, or think, or blog. Hmmmmm.

What about the rest of you? What are you ruminations regarding trees you would like to be?

5 comments:

Heather Moore said...

I've always wanted to answer this question as well. Just kidding!

It's hard to decide. Maybe a quaking aspen: tall, straight, but exceedingly anxious.

Cheri Chesley said...

I am one of the guilty ones who did not ask a question. :) My turn! The problem is, looking at your blog and your delicious book covers, I can only think of one: What's your absolute, all time favorite dessert?

Dani said...

~I just wanted to tell you, that I read one of your books, To Have or To Hold, and I loved it!! I loved it so much that I went online and ordered all of your books. Then I found out you are from Willard and that excited me because I am from Tremonton and my husband is from Brigham City, so it is nice to support a wonderful author as well as a local. Thanks for being an amazing writer. ~

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of tree I'd be. I like to one of those kind that are connected to other trees--sharing consciousness and life between them. I think I'd like to be the kind of tree that added something to other trees and in nurturing life for others, found the same.

Me again said...

My favorite part of the russian olive is the absolutely delicious smell they have in the spring.

We live in an area where they are all along the canal banks. the smell is just wonderful. We look forward to it all year.