Friday, October 23, 2009

Withdrawl

I can't feel my feet, that's a bad sign, right? And the room is spinning. I'm a little sick to my stomach and no matter how hard I try to tell myself that I'm going to be okay, my mind refuses to believe what must surely be a lie. I am not okay.

There are substitutions available but it seems to make it worse--reminding me how good it once was. The replacement's very incompleteness triggers my anxiety until I fear that I've made a grave, grave mistake. Is imperfection worthy of separation? Am I selfish and arrogant to believe I deserve the best? Why am I so hard to please? So demanding? Is nothing better than almost perfect?

These thoughts have spun around my cortex for the last two days, but I have told myself that I only had to hold out until Friday, then my fears would be laid to rest and this parting would seem a distant, albeit, painful memory. Alas, there is a delay in our reunion and seeing as how it is Friday, that delay will stretch for the rest of today...all day tomorrow...throughout all of Sunday (which, truly seems sacrilegious) and until Monday when I receive the triumphant call that all is well. Only then will I be at peace, comforted by my vice without whom I am simply not myself.

Oh Monday, sweet Monday, I long for the comfort you will bring.

In the meantime, what advice do you have for me? How do you cope when your computer's in the shop?

17 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You totally had me going! I was freaking out for you! Well, I have access to about 7 computers, to it's good. We now have two laptops at home, and our PC just died, which is fine because I can still blog my little heart out!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Our computers are both getting finicky. I think we might have to invest in a new one soon. Hope you can survive until Monday :) !!

Cheri Chesley said...

I am painfully spoiled. My "computer shop" comes to me. My brother builds and re-builds computers as a hobby. When he upgrades, we get the "old" stuff. It all started with that first computer he built for me the Christmas after I got married.

How do you survive? One day, one hour, one minute at a time...but, how do you blog without a computer?
And pen/pencil and paper will keep the writing beast appeased :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You know, giggling at your clever post aside, there really does come a point where this machine begins to feel like an appendage and having it suddenly amputated? Ouch!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kristina. I was freaking out on your behalf for a minute!
I truly feel your pain. My lappy went to the shop twice and then finally was laid to rest. His replacement took a long time to get here and now I fear that he too may be going to the shop.
I hope your pain is shortlived. *hugs*

Krista said...

Ha ha ha. That was good. I went to my husband's office (at the high school) and "borrowed" his for a week. I had my zip drive, so just installed my WIP on it. It sure was good to get my laptop, though. I could breathe again.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I'm laughing! That was awesome. And as for advice, J.D. Salinger said, "I have no cure, only consolation; someone else has passed this way before."

Melissa Cunningham said...

You had me truly concerned there! I do everything I can to fix mine so I don't have to take it in. I DREAD taking my computer in. I usually do that thing that takes your computer back to an earlier date (can't remember what it's called) and that usually fixes it.

Good luck and God Speed! lol

Crystal said...

I got nothing. The very thought of my computer in the shop is disastrous! You'll get through this, I have faith.

Very dramatic post BTW. And the academy award goes to.....

Libby's Library said...

I have NO IDEA - thank goodness I've never had to suffer such deprivation!

Cluttered Brain said...

I did without a computer for a month and a half. I just went to the library alot and waited for public access. It blew! I hope I NEVER have to be without a computer again.

Kristi said...

I have one word for you girl...
CHOC-O-LATE.

Curtis Moser said...

Once I had computer trouble,
and you know what I did for that?
I panted and sighed,
and ranted and cried,
and then I bought me a Mac.

Anonymous said...

Josi, you need a spare computer. It is your lifeline to your occupation why don't you have a spare. Our cars have spare tires. Why don't writer have spare computers?

Karlene said...

I though you were out of chocolate!

First, I scream and stomp and throw things. And then I go into a deep depression and spend all deay in bed watching television.

Leslee said...

This was my computer experience last week. Thursday I printed off my manuscript to send off to a publisher upon their request and Friday I got back on to blog, when a virus alert popped up on my screen. Well, being the savvy person I am, I launched my anti-virus software. The computer blinked and then the virus disabled my software and ate my computer.

So here is what I did. First, I cried and said, no, no, no. Then I called a very close friend of mine told him to cancel all plans because now he was going to be held hostage by me until my computer was all better. Thankfully he laughed and spent eight hours Saturday putting my Humpty Dumpty computer back together again.

I feel for you right now, I really do, because as you can see, I din't handle my situation well at all.

Carolyn V. said...

I get very grumpy and then buy chocolate. It seems to work.