Monday, February 09, 2009

Whitney Award Finalists 2008

Wohoooo! The finalists for the 2008 Whitney Awards have been announced. I've served on the Whitney Award committee this year and boy-oh-boy, what a process. I thought I had a good sense of what went into pulling it off last year, but I had no idea. Rob Wells, the president, has literally put in hundreds and hundreds of hours into this program and it's truly a labor of love for all the committee members. Because of my being on the committee, Her Good Name, was not eligible--but I'm totally cool with that. I get to remain a Whitney winner for each time I've been eligible :-) I'm also very excited about some of the books that are finalists as I am so impressed with the talent of so many of these authors. It has been SO hard for me not to post reviews of some of these books--but I have tried hard to keep my personal feelings to myself so that no one is influenced by my opinions which tend to be a little strong at times :) For a complete list as well as the cover graphics, go HERE

And without further adieu, let me present your 2008 Whitney Award Finalists (listed in Alphabetical order by genre)

ROMANCE: Seeking Persephone, by Sarah Eden, Servant to a King, by Sariah Wilson, The Sound of Rain, by Anita Stansfield, Spare Change, by Aubrey Mace, Taking Chances, by Shannon Guymon

MYSTERY/SUSPENSE:
Above and Beyond, by Betsy Brannon Green
Do No Harm, by Gregg Luke
Fool Me Twice, by Stephanie Black
Freefall, by Traci Hunter Abramson
Royal Target, by Traci Hunter Abramson

YOUTH FICTION:
The 13th Reality, by James Dashner
Alcatraz vs. The Scrivner’s Bones, by Brandon Sanderson
Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague (Book 3), by Brandon Mull
Far World: Water Keep, by J. Scott Savage
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, by Jessica Day George

SPECULATIVE:
Ender in Exile, by Orson Scott Card
The Great and Terrible: From the End of Heaven, by Chris Stewart
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, Book 3), by Brandon Sanderson
The Host, by Stephanie Meyer
The Wyrmling Horde: The Seventh Book of the Runelords, by David Farland

HISTORICAL:
Abinadi, by H.B. Moore
Isabelle Webb, Legend of the Jewel, by N.C. Allen
Master, by Toni Sorenson
The Ruby, by Jennie Hansen
Traitor, by Sandra Grey

GENERAL FICTION:
Bound on Earth, by Angela Hallstrom
The Reckoning, by Tanya Parker Mills
Waiting For the Light to Change, by Annette Hawes
Fields of Home, by Rachel Ann Nunes
Keeping Keller, by Tracy Winegar

BEST BOOK BY A NEW AUTHOR:
Bound on Earth, by Angela Hallstrom
The Reckoning, by Tanya Parker Mills
Spare Change, by Aubrey Mace
Traitor, by Sandra Grey
Waiting For the Light to Change, by Annette Hawes

NOVEL OF THE YEAR:
Bound on Earth, by Angela Hallstrom
Fool Me Twice, by Stephanie Black
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, Book 3), by Brandon Sanderson
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, by Jessica Day George
Traitor, by Sandra Grey

**I would also like to suggest that, if at all possible, you print off this list and take it to your local library, requesting that they be sure to have all these titles on their shelves. This would not only help those that seek out the titles, but it's also helpful for the academy members (LDS authors, publishers, critics, retailers, etc) so they can find the copies, and it helps the authors get a wider audience for their books. Most libraries in Utah have an LDS section, and many outside of Utah have a limited selection as well. I believe that knowing the book is up for an award would increase their likelihood of stocking it in their library--it's worth a shot, right?

Thank you to everyone who has supported the Whitney Awards through donations, the auction, spreading the word, and reading these books. It truly is our goal to honor those writers who have achieved excellence in their craft.

Happy Reading!

7 comments:

Momo Fali said...

Wow! What a great list to have in my pocket! Thanks.

Brooke said...

I'm so excited to go to my library! There are so many books I haven't even heard of! Thanks for the info.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I've got some reading to do!

Grandma 'D' said...

Thanks for the list Josi. I am also excited to get started. I have joined our Relief Society Book Club and for the first time in a very long time (too busy raising kids) I am enjoying my reading time immensly. Crystal just bought Lemon Tart and is reading it, after which I will get the honor. Can't wait! Also I just read a book called 'The Shack' by William P. Young. It was weird but fantastic reading.

Julie Wright said...

Whitneys are so cool! Lots of awesome books there!

Rebecca Talley said...

Wow, you did a lot of reading. Thanks for all of your hard work. What a great list.

Luisa Perkins said...

Holy Cow; that is some STIFF competition! Love it.