Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October Artsy Essay Contest~My Ideal Day

Judith over at Heartsong has apparently been sponsoring these contests for a few months, but I was just made aware of it through Daizie's profile at Cre8buzz--apparently Judith is a friend of hers and Daizie wanted to spread the love. Basically the contest is for bloggers who submit a poem, prose, photo or other blog-postable medium that fits the theme of "My Ideal Day". Posts can be posted between the 15th and 31st of October, and then she'll have another contest next month. Once you've posted, link your entry to her website and then wait for the judging. I was in serious need for something different with my writing, and this fit the bill for a wonderful creative exercise. Anyone can enter, so ponder on your own ideal day and put it out to the Universe--who knows what will happen. Also, let me know if you enter so I can read your day as well. You can find full contest details here.

Anyway, here goes . . .


My Ideal Day
By Josi S. Kilpack

Seawater clings to my skin and the tropical flora seem intent to convince me nothing in the world exists but this—right here, right now. Somewhere up the beach fish is grilling while beans boil in a covered pot. Mangos are in season and their ripening scent competes with that of the flowers all around me.

Can you smell it?

The call of a thousand sea birds fills the sky and my hammock creaks amid it’s swaying. The Ocean breeze creates a whispered symphony as it travels through the palm leaves above, behind, beside me. His footsteps approach while the waves crash and crash and crash upon the shore. They keep rhythm with my breathing until he whispers in my ear and breath deserts me entirely.

Can you hear it?

The air is thick and salty, each wave sending a tribute of itself toward the heavens when it breaks upon the beach. The sand is soft and supple on my feet and the world is moving back and forth as the hammock sways. Back and forth, back and forth. His hand lingers on my cheek, my neck, my shoulder and we try and see if it's a hammock built for two.

Can you feel it?

Sky as big as it’s ever been, the flat and flawless countenance broken only by the constant motion of sea. His eyes are as blue as the ocean surrounding us and the grasses and ferns are so green it's as if the color was invented just for them. The sun is made brighter by the reflection of whitened sand as his footprints are sucked back into the sea with every wave that rolls upon the beach.

Can you see it?

I am late for nothing and no one depends on me to be fed, or cleaned, or delivered. I have no deadlines, no appointments, no bills to pay, or calls to make. There are no excuses to fill my mind. There is no distraction from our course. And he is here too, as free as me. We have nothing to do but find us again; the us that sometimes gets lost in the laundry and board meetings, the carpools and lawn mowing.

With a little luck, the journey back to us will take all day.

21 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Gorgeousness! Oh, the yearning. Love it.

Judith HeartSong said...

"Sky as big as it’s ever been, the flat and flawless countenance broken only by the constant motion of sea."

And now I have goosebumps. Lovely, lovely and thank you so much for writing. Bravo!!!!

Tamra Norton said...

Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

Heather Moore said...

Love it! And you say you aren't good at description.

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Beautiful! I totally feel like I'm there. You have a wonderful gift with words!
:)

Colleen said...

This was very beautifully written! ~Colleen :)

Karlene said...

Great descriptions. I was right there.

And thanks for the info. I posted my essay today.

Debra said...

i apologize if there have been multiple comments from me, the server pauses in the middle so i can't tell if it is taken or not. anyway:
love the format, great choice! good stuff, glad to find your blog, grins, debra

Jod{i} said...

I had to come read again, this is just captivating...I was there...I was so there!

Peace
Daizie(jodi)

~~Kristal~~ said...

Just wonderful.. I really enjoyed reading your entry.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Enthralling, Josi. Completely so.

Julie Wright said...

Sounds like heaven!

Anonymous said...

josi:
that was terrific and peaceful. i like especially how you snuck the guy into your day, too, and that you both could take all day to find each other again. beautifully done. i felt like i was there. thanks for sharing this glimpse, kathleen

Anonymous said...

hi josi:
thanks for announcing this on your blog that i frequent. i posted my entry today (24oct) and i did a little shout-out to you at the beginning of that post. hope you win awesome you, kathleen :)

Lena said...

I better close my eyes before I see something you don't want me to! I don't think your perfect day includes me, lol. That was very descriptive and brought me right there! Great!

Anonymous said...

This was awesome.
I could see, touch, feel, and hear everything! Great job! I can't wait to read more of your essays!

Judith HeartSong said...

Let me be the first to say Congratulations for this wonderful post!!!!

There is good news on this Saturday morning!

:):):):)
Judith

Jod{i} said...

Wonderful! Wonderful! I was very excited to read over at Judith's!
Congrats! A fine piece! Well deserving!

Yeah!


Peace
Jodi(daizie)

Lena said...

Josi- Congratulations!

~~Kristal~~ said...

Congratulations! I am so happy you won.. A beautiful essay.. Have a great day !!!

Kristal

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations! You are a very well deserved winner. Your entry stayed with me a long time after I read it. wonderful...well done!
Jeanie