Monday, June 25, 2007

200 Today!

I will spare you all the redundant lamentations I've given in regards to my current WIP and simply bask in the accomplishment of hitting 200 pages today. Okay, I'm just kidding, I have to repeat my lamentations because it's all so HORRIBLE! This book has been started 4 different times and as of last week I had . . . gulp . . . 460 pages of cuts--and that's not counting the three 'attempts' that I have not yet added to my cuts folder. I'm not sure I dare. I'm also not sure why this book has been so particularly hard, other than my latest book Sheep's Clothing was so different from the other things I've written and this one is kind of a combination of my earlier style and newer suspense, and it's been hard trying to balance it all.

Anyhooooooo, last Wednesday I cut another 10 pages or so and decided I was sick to death of writing up to 150, then cutting, then getting back to 150 and cutting again. So I set a goal to write hit 200 pages by Tuesday June 26 (that's tomorrow). AND I DID IT! It was hard, cause there are things I know I need to cut, but for the most part I didn't let myself do it. I didn't revise much at all (though I couldn't help but cut six pages that were seriously giving me a rash). But my goal was to move forward. Since I plan to write 300 pages, this means I'm 2/3 of the way through the book! I might just finish this thing after all!

Anyway, it was an exciting thing for me, to actually accomplish something of significance. I'm still not sure this book is as good as my previous ones, and I know I will have a lot of editing to do, but at least I've hit my 200. With a little luck and discipline, I won't dip below that mark again. The big question is, can I write another 50 pages in a week? I'm not sure, so I haven't written it on a post it note and taped it on my wall yet. I do have an ultimate goal of being DONE with the book by August 1. revisions will be done by August 15 and then I will be begging my readers to tell me how badly it sucks--so that I can fix it. And this time, I will listen (Tristi, that's for you :-) and will have this book turned in by Mid September.

It's gunna happen. I can feel it . . . finally!

6 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

YES!!! Now just put a ball of duct tape over the delete key, and you're set.

Luisa Perkins said...

You go, girl! I'm right there with you. We love to quote from Star Wars at our house, "Stay on target, alllllllmost there......"

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

That's wonderful! And I second the duct tape decision. =)

Marsha Ward said...

Go Josi! You can do it!

Heather Moore said...

Congrats on this! It gives me the kick in the pants that I need :)

Rebecca Talley said...

You're a great inspiration for me. Thanks! And congratulations on meeting your goal.